- backing back‧ing [ˈbækɪŋ] noun [uncountable]
• The proposals have the backing of the EU Commissioner for the Environment.
• The consultancy was formed with financial backing from Saatchi and Saatchi.ˈasset ˌbacking also ˈasset ˌcoverFINANCE the total value of all the assets that a company has, divided by the number of shares that the company has issued; = ASSET VALUE PER SHAREˌnet ˈasset ˌbackingFINANCE the value of a company's assets less its liabilities, except its liabilities to shareholders:
• The publishing group ended the year with net asset backing of A$27.91 a share.
* * *backing UK US /ˈbækɪŋ/ noun [U]► FINANCE support, especially financial, for something or someone: »
Only with generous financial backing do any of these ambitious projects stand a chance of success.
Financial and business terms. 2012.
Look at other dictionaries:
backing — 1590s, support; 1640s, retreat; from prp. of BACK (Cf. back) (v.). Physical sense of anything forming a backing to something else is from 1793. Meaning musical accompaniment is recorded from 1940 … Etymology dictionary
Backing — Strengthening applique or other embroidery if the materials applied are not of the same strength as the foundation, they are to be laid upon. Backing is necessary for such as cloth of gold, satin, silk and brocades. Linen and fine holland are the … Dictionary of the English textile terms
Backing — Back ing, n. 1. The act of moving backward, or of putting or moving anything backward. [1913 Webster] 2. That which is behind, and forms the back of, anything, usually giving strength or stability. [1913 Webster] 3. Support or aid given to a… … The Collaborative International Dictionary of English
Backing — Backing. См. Основа. (Источник: «Металлы и сплавы. Справочник.» Под редакцией Ю.П. Солнцева; НПО Профессионал , НПО Мир и семья ; Санкт Петербург, 2003 г.) … Словарь металлургических терминов
Backing — (engl., spr. bäck ), die Verstärkung eines Panzers durch eine Hinterlage, s. Panzerschiff … Meyers Großes Konversations-Lexikon
backing — I noun advocacy, aegis, aid, approval, assistance, auspices, bolstering, championing, charity, comfort, commendation, cooperation, coverage, defense, encouragement, favor, financing, furtherance, guarantee, guidance, help, indorsement, interest,… … Law dictionary
backing — ● backing nom masculin (mot anglais) Matériau que l on met au fond de la gorge d un tambour de moulinet de pêche pour en diminuer la contenance. Fil de pêche que l on peut avoir en réserve au fond du moulinet … Encyclopédie Universelle
backing — [n] support abetment, accompaniment, adherence, advocacy, aegis, aid, assistance, auspices, championing, championship, encouragement, endorsement, funds, grant, help, patronage, reinforcement, sanction, secondment, sponsorship, subsidy; concepts… … New thesaurus
backing — ► NOUN 1) support. 2) a layer of material that forms or strengthens the back of something. 3) (especially in popular music) accompaniment to the main singer … English terms dictionary
backing — [bak′iŋ] n. 1. something placed in back or forming a back for support or strength 2. support given to a person or cause 3. those giving such support 4. Slang a musical accompaniment … English World dictionary